Road transportation in Malta is regulated by the Land Transport Department within the Malta Transport Authority. All personal and commercial vehicles are required to register according to the Motor Registration Tax Act, renewed at the beginning of 2009. The first step to open a transportation company in Malta is to go through the regular company incorporation procedure followed by specific steps consisting in obtaining all the required permits with the Land Transport Department.
Our Maltese company registration agents will guide you through the company set-up procedure.
The passenger transport vehicle license in Malta
Maltese companies with a valid operator license issued by the Transport Authority are allowed to register transport vehicles with more than nine seats. Transportation companies are allowed to register both new and second-hand vehicles with the Transport Services Licensing Unit in Malta. The operator is required to submit the following documents, in order to obtain the passenger transport vehicle license:
- – prescribed application forms CPOL-A3 and VEH-30,
- – a certificate of conformity for new vehicles,
- – a certificate of initial fitness for second-hand vehicles,
- – a foreign log book,
- – the administration fee.
After verifying the Maltese transportation company’s financial soundness, the Transport Services Licensing Unit will forward the documents to the Technical Unit of Transport Department.
The regulations for opening a taxi company in Malta are established in the Taxi Service Regulations, while companies transporting goods are required to abide by the European Union’s Directive 2007/46/EC and obtain a National or International Road Haulage Operator License.
NACE codes for opening a transportation company in Malta
One of the following NACE codes must be selected when registering a transportation company in Malta:
- – section I for transport, storage and communication,
- – 60 for land transport,
- – 60.1 for transport via railways,
- – 60.2 for other land transport,
- – 60.21 for scheduled passenger land transport,
- – 60.22 for taxi operators,
- – 60.23 for other land passenger transport,
- – 60.24 for freight transport by land.
For additional information about the available NACE codes within the Nomenclature of Economic Activities and for company registration, please contact our company incorporation agents in Malta.